Who's Going? - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
vavavoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 77
                     
Who's Going?

I'm going to Canada for the first time this year and will be heading to the Rogers Centre for the tournament.

I've been looking up public transport in Toronto and it's all a little confusing to me. I'm staying within walking distance of Union Station, so what's the best way to get to the Rogers Centre from there? Also, are there special transport services being put on for the tournament?
vavavoom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 01:54 AM
Registered User
 
cath777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,475
                     
Re: Getting there

Your best bet is probably the subway from Union to Downsview (if you look at a subway map, it is the left side of the yellow line), then the 106 bus from Downsview up to York Uni. It will probably take 45 mins to an hour.

I don't think the tournament will put on transport.
cath777 is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Age: 33
Posts: 4,797
                     
Re: Getting there

^probably the best way

tournament does transport from some parking lots near the facilities.
n3gative is offline  
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Registered User
 
mayagaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 444
                     
Re: Getting there

There is going to be a tournament shuttle operating from the Downsview Station, courtesy of LCBO.
mayagaller is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 08:28 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
AdeyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 14,172
                     
Re: Getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayagaller View Post
There is going to be a tournament shuttle operating from the Downsview Station, courtesy of LCBO.
I went there two years ago, great venue.

You can contact me on my TF Account or adriancollins@hotmail.com. I rarely log on here anymore as became TF Admin.
AdeyC is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
vavavoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 77
                     
Re: Getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayagaller View Post
There is going to be a tournament shuttle operating from the Downsview Station, courtesy of LCBO.
The letter that came with my tickets confirmed this, thanks Can't wait
vavavoom is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 01:18 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 36
Posts: 5
 
Re: Getting there

Hi guys,

I am going to be going to Toronto for the first time to watch tennis.

I will be staying with my brother close to the Soho Hotel @ 318 Wellington Street.

He is new to Toronto though and doesn't know his way around that well.

Can anyone help me in explaining my best to get there.

I believe the best/easiest way is to take the subway to downsview and then take a shuttle that a couple of members have posted about LCBO.
I have no idea what LCBO is. Is this transport free or will it cost some money? Will it be easy to identify the shuttles that will go to the tennis venue?
mackaveli is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 01:25 AM
Registered User
 
cath777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,475
                     
Re: Getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackaveli View Post
Hi guys,

I am going to be going to Toronto for the first time to watch tennis.

I will be staying with my brother close to the Soho Hotel @ 318 Wellington Street.

He is new to Toronto though and doesn't know his way around that well.

Can anyone help me in explaining my best to get there.

I believe the best/easiest way is to take the subway to downsview and then take a shuttle that a couple of members have posted about LCBO.
I have no idea what LCBO is. Is this transport free or will it cost some money? Will it be easy to identify the shuttles that will go to the tennis venue?
The LCBO is the Liquor Control Board of Ontario. My guess is they are providing transport for free advertising. These shuttles are free but are only scheduled to run for the evening session, and start from 5pm. It's the first year they have been provided, but I'm suspect they will be easy to identify.

If you are going during the day, take the subway to Downsview, then any of the following buses:

* 196 York University Rocket - Express from Downsview Station;
* 106 York University - from Downsview at non-peak times
* 107 B&C Keele North - Downsview Station to Rutherford GO Stn (107 B) or Teston Rd (107 C) via York U (one-fare service between York Region and York University)

When you get off the subway, follow signs for the buses, and then signs for the bus number you need.

Enjoy!

http://www.rogerscup.com/men/english...anGuide_en.pdf
cath777 is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 04:00 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 36
Posts: 5
 
Re: Getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by cath777 View Post
The LCBO is the Liquor Control Board of Ontario. My guess is they are providing transport for free advertising. These shuttles are free but are only scheduled to run for the evening session, and start from 5pm. It's the first year they have been provided, but I'm suspect they will be easy to identify.

If you are going during the day, take the subway to Downsview, then any of the following buses:

* 196 York University Rocket - Express from Downsview Station;
* 106 York University - from Downsview at non-peak times
* 107 B&C Keele North - Downsview Station to Rutherford GO Stn (107 B) or Teston Rd (107 C) via York U (one-fare service between York Region and York University)

When you get off the subway, follow signs for the buses, and then signs for the bus number you need.

Enjoy!

http://www.rogerscup.com/men/english...anGuide_en.pdf
Thank you very much!. I am going by myself for a couple of sessions and hope I don't get lost!.

Any recommendations on what to do during the time there are no matches? I plan on going to the Day/Night session on Friday/Saturday and I am not sure what to do during my down time.

Suggestions?
mackaveli is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 01:33 AM
Registered User
 
cath777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,475
                     
Re: Getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackaveli View Post
Thank you very much!. I am going by myself for a couple of sessions and hope I don't get lost!.

Any recommendations on what to do during the time there are no matches? I plan on going to the Day/Night session on Friday/Saturday and I am not sure what to do during my down time.

Suggestions?
Just ask someone if you're not sure where to go. You might want to ask the bus driver the right direction when you get off the bus, as it might not be obvious.

Friday there is usually doubles on, so you probably will always have something to watch. Saturday there will likely be a break in between the sessions. How long depends on how long the matches are! The last few years there has been some university championships on, so there was something to watch. Other than that, browse the shops and pick up all the free things you can! There isn't much close by, so there's not a lot of point in going offsite, unless you are really interested in Black Creek Pioneer Village http://www.blackcreek.ca/
cath777 is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 04:46 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 36
Posts: 5
 
Some quick questions about attending the event

Hi guys,

I am leaving to Toronto tomorrow and just have a couple of quick questions. I have never been to a tennis event before and I am excited to go.

1.) How do the outer courts work? I only have fan zone tickets for the 3rd/qf/sf/f. There are matches on the outer courts. Are these free to attend as long as you buy tickets to centre court?

2.) This is a weird question but I just want to know. Bringing backpacks. Is there room where you sit to put your backpack down? Should i bring one? I looked up the weather and it seems like it may rain a couple days. Case in point it rained today. I want to bring an umbrella just in case. I was going to put it in my backpack but I have no idea the size of the venue if i have room to put it anywhere? I will be sitting in the fan zone section. Should I get poncho's instead? If so are they purchased at the stadium?

3.) I want to buy some nice Roger Federer gear. Where should I go to find this?

Thank you.
mackaveli is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 01:04 PM
RAVE ON
 
buddyholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LUBBOCK TX
Posts: 15,357
                     
Re: Some quick questions about attending the event

1) You have admission to Stadium Court at any time and to any other court as long as there is room to sit. Grandstand court always has seats, but even yesterday Andy Murray's doubles match on court 1 had a long line waiting to get a seat even before the match started.
2) Bring a backback for sure, with food and water, but no glass containers. You can buy plastic ponchos inside, but why bother? If it rains there will be no play. You can shelter under the stands if it is only going to be a short break. Actually although yesterday had a lot of rain, the rest of the week looks good. And if you are using public transport, the bus to the subway arrives and leaves right from the front gate. I left yesterday in heavy rain, but it was no problem I just ran from the entrance tent to the bus when I saw it coming. I think using the subway to Downsville and then the 106 bus to the gate is great. Saves parking fees and waiting for a shuttle bus to your parking lot.
3) The venue is pretty compact. All the shops are in a line called the retail village. Usually prices are marked up at these events, but yesterday I noted that tennis balls were cheaper than downtown stores and T-shirts were reasonable.

JOIN THE CHURCH OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER TODAY
buddyholly is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 01:12 PM
RAVE ON
 
buddyholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LUBBOCK TX
Posts: 15,357
                     
Re: Some quick questions about attending the event

PS. If there are matches on an outside court that you would like to see, be sure and do it. You can usually get to sit right at the front and see the match up close. Something you do not experience up in the fanzone. You get a much better appreciation of the speed of the ball and how close they skim the top of the net by sitting at court level.
But after the third round, all the singles matches will probably be on Stadium.

JOIN THE CHURCH OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER TODAY
buddyholly is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 12:12 PM
RAVE ON
 
buddyholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LUBBOCK TX
Posts: 15,357
                     
Re: Who's Going?

For anyone still looking for info. The LCBO shuttle to and from Downsview is only from 5pm-midnight. During the day it is the 106 bus from Downsview, which drops you at the front gate. I don't take the rocket because it does not drop you at the gate and thus is no faster, after you walk from campus to the gate.

By the way: LCBO means Licquor Control Board of Ontario and the shuttle is to encourage people who drink (and heckle Federer) to use public transport. It is free and if you take it back to Downsview you can then use the subway free as well.

JOIN THE CHURCH OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER TODAY
buddyholly is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 36
Posts: 5
 
Re: Who's Going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
For anyone still looking for info. The LCBO shuttle to and from Downsview is only from 5pm-midnight. During the day it is the 106 bus from Downsview, which drops you at the front gate. I don't take the rocket because it does not drop you at the gate and thus is no faster, after you walk from campus to the gate.

By the way: LCBO means Licquor Control Board of Ontario and the shuttle is to encourage people who drink (and heckle Federer) to use public transport. It is free and if you take it back to Downsview you can then use the subway free as well.
Hey there, thanks for the information.

I am going tomorrow for the midnight session. I will be taking the subway to Downsview. Therefore there should be LCBO buses taking me from Downsview to the event for free?

Also Bus 106 - How often does it come to pick up people from downsview to go to the tennis event? I will be going to the morning sessions on Fri/Sat. Also is it pretty obvious when I am at the front gate of York University from the bus? lol

thanks again. You have been very helpful!
mackaveli is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome