Tennis player Laurynas Grigelis after the triumph in France: "We accidentally got in the draw and we won"
Tennis player Laurynas Grigelis keeps his supporters happy. He, partnering Belarussian Uladzimir Ignatik, won the second consecutive doubles title in Challenger tour. Also, he became world number 272 in doubles and for the first time in his career he has a better doubles ranking then Ričardas Berankis. However, in the interview with lrytas.lt Laurynas assured that singles matches will continue being his priority.
The team of Lithuanian and Belarussian didn't expect to get in the doubles draw of ATP Challenger tour event "Challenger La Manche" in France. Illness of one of opponents gave the opportunity for L.Grigelis and U.Ignatik to compete together for the second week in a row.
"We accidently got in the draw and we won. We signed up for the tournament but we were 14th team on the list and only 13 teams got in. But one Frenchman got ill and he couldn't play neither singles nor doubles. So we took the place of his team in the doubles draw" - said Laurynas.
In the final match the team of 20-year-old Lithuanian and 21-year old Belarusian defeated 27-year-old German Dustin Brown and 30-year-old Brit Jonathan Marray, 4-6, 7-6(11-9), 10:0.
With victory in doubles draw L.Grigelis and U.Ignatik earned 90 ATP doubles ranking points each and 2,650 euros. Lithuanian player rose from 372 to 272 place in the world doubles ranking, which is ahead of another Lithuanian player World doubles number 347 Ričardas Berankis. U.Ignatik jumped from 187 to 168 place in the world doubles ranking.
Last week the team of Lithuanian and Belarussian won the Challenger tour tennis tournament "Volkswagen ATP Challenger" in Wolfsburg, Germany.
- You won the second title in a row - what is the secret of your success? - lrytas.lt asked Laurynas Grigelis.
- You could say that we were just lucky that we got into the tournament, that we were not supposed to play. We both serve well and receive well. We don't play "in the air" as well as real doubles players, we still need to improve that. However, I believe that the receiving and serving are very important elements in tennis.
- Did you expect that fortune will smile at you again?
- After we won the first round, we thought that we can go deep in the draw, because the first opponents were a very strong team. In the final match we lost the first set, even though we had a chance to win. We got gloomy but we didn't give up. We were fighting till the end and we won.
- You are not really successful in singles draws this year.
- I wouln't say that I'm not successful, in Germany I lost to the eventual champion. I France I lost the match which I could have won, in the second round I lost to Frenchman Kenny de Schepper, who is world number 164. I think that my game is improving. I need to trust myself and work hard.
- In your career you have one challenger tour singles title and two doubles titles. Don't you have an idea to focus on doubles?
- I'm a singles player, therefore I give priority to singles matches. And I don't think that two titles in doubles should change that. Now I know that I can be successful in doubles so I'll play them when I have an opportunity, but if I feel that I might not have enough energy for singles and doubles then I'll refuse to play doubles. Singles stays my priority.
- After winning the tournament in Germany you didn't have time to celebrate it, you hurried to France. How about your second title, have you celebrated it?
- We had some hours to celebrate our victory and then Uladzimir had to go home. So, we just drunk the bear that we got in Germany, that's it.
- What are your plans for the nearest future?
- I'll return home to Italy. There I'll rest for a few days and then start practising again. On saturday I'm going to Sarajevo (Bosnia & Herzegovina) to play one more challenger tournament. After that one I'll go to England. I'll play doubles with Uladzimir only in England because he couldn't go to Sarajevo, there I'll paly with Italian guy Marco Crugnola.
This article was open on my computer for three days and I still didn't get in a mood to translate it. Maybe next time I can just post it in lithuanian and people who are interested can use a google.translate