Mens Tennis Forums banner

2010 World Group play-offs draw

7K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  Alejax 
#1 ·
http://www.daviscup.com/news/newsarticle.asp?articleid=17009
10 May 2010
Seedings announced for World Group play-offs

The ITF has announced the seedings for the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group play-offs in September, following the conclusion of the Zone Group I second round ties at the weekend.

The World Group play-offs will take place on 17-19 September, the same weekend as the semifinals. In total, 16 nations contest the play-offs - eight losing World Group nations and eight winning Zone Group nations.

The World Group play-offs draw, which is being held in London on 11 May, is seeded according to the latest ITF Davis Cup Nations Ranking on 10 May. The top eight ranked nations will not face each other.

The seedings are listed below, with rankings in brackets:

Seeded nations

USA [4]
Israel [6]
Germany [8]
Sweden [9]
India [13]
Australia [14]
Switzerland [15]
Ecuador [16]

Non-seeded nations

Belgium [17]
Brazil [18]
Austria [19]
Italy [20]
Romania [21]
Kazakhstan [22]
South Africa [23]
Colombia [27]

#5 ·
once again Italy very unlucky

#6 ·
Go Australia. The aussies boys should win fairly easy and get back into the main draw. Good Luck to all the rest of the countries for there bids to make it back into the world group.

#7 ·
Germany should beat South Africa easily. If Anderson doesn´t play, they don´t even have a player in the singles Top 100. Columbia - USA is a very nice match. I think Columbia has good chances because of clay and the altitude of Bogota, where they will play I think.

#8 ·
Australia, Germany and Switzerland should easily make it i think. For the swiss side even not Roger must play to win in kasachstan i think.

Sweden vs Italy should be very interesting. But sweden on a fast court should prevail...but it is tough..they have no real 2nd player.

#10 ·
Hi all! New here!

COL-USA head-to-head is 1-1, but this was back in the 70's. If Giraldo holds on and Falla wakes up, Colombia has a good chance at home; otherwise... the 32-time champions will take it.

Italy-Sweden is a though one.

Brazil, how lucky could you get? Although they are also 1-1 with India so far.

#11 ·
http://www.daviscup.com/news/newsarticle.asp?articleid=17010
11 May 2010 - London
Draw made for World Group play-offs

The draw for the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group play-offs, which are being held on 17-19 September, was made on Tuesday morning in London.

Colombia’s prize for coming through Americas Zone Group I is a home tie against USA, the 32-time champions. The Americans have been a permanent fixture in the World Group since 1989, and they will be favourites to continue that record in this match-up.

Austria travels to Israel, the 2009 semifinalists, with the home team attempting to avoid relegation. The Austrians will be hoping for a quick return to the World Group, having spent six years in the competition’s top tier between 2004 and 2009.

Germany has been drawn at home against South Africa in a battle of two former champions. South Africa last appeared in the World Group in 1998, incidentally losing to Germany. The Germans currently lead 5-3 in the head-to-head series between the two nations.

Two more past champions are also facing off in the play-offs, as Sweden hosts Italy. It will be the 20th meeting between the two nations, with the Italians currently holding an 11-8 edge. Sweden has spent just one year outside the World Group since the current format was introduced in 1981.

Brazil travels to India in search of a first World Group appearance since 2003, when Gustavo Kuerten was in the team. India, meanwhile, reached the top tier this year for the first time since 1998. The head-to-head score is tied at 1-1.

Having already defeated Chinese Taipei and Japan this year, Australia now hosts Belgium with a chance to return to the World Group for the first time since 2007. The two nations have met on three previous occasions, with the Aussies holding a 2-1 lead in the series.

Switzerland will attempt to maintain its place in the World Group with a tricky trip to Kazakhstan. The two nations have never previously met, but the Kazakhstanis are enjoying their best ever run in the competition.

After a one year absence from the World Group, Romania will be hoping for a speedy return when Ecuador is the visitor. The only previous meeting between the two nations came in 2005, when the Romanians claimed a 3-2 victory.

The full draw is as follows:

USA (s) v Colombia (c)
Israel (s) (c) v Austria
Germany (s) (c) v South Africa
Sweden (s) (c) v Italy
India (s) (c) v Brazil
Australia (s) (c) v Belgium
Switzerland (s) v Kazakhstan (c) (*)
Ecuador (s) v Romania (c)

Key:

(s) = seeded nation
(c) = choice of ground
* = choice of ground decided by lot

The World Group play-offs will take place on 17-19 September, alongside the semifinals. The eight winning nations will advance to next year’s World Group first round, while the eight losing nations will compete in their respective Zone Group.

Seedings for the draw were based on the ITF Davis Cup Nations Ranking, which is published after each round of competition. The latest list was created on 10 May.

#12 ·
The fact it's in Colombia changes the entire scenario. They can beat the US with Falla and Giraldo, if Roddick still chooses not to play.

It's a little unfair to me that Ecuador or Romania will be in the world group over a team like Italy or Israel or Austria or Belgium. Neither one of those teams has any shot at all of really winning a tie IMO, and especially Romania, they always seem to find a way to stay in the world group and lose R1 every time.

I can see Italy beating Sweden because Sweden is still a one-singles team, and if the Italians can put together a good doubles combination, an upset can happen there.

I think Israel will end up beating Austria. I don't see Melzer beating Sela in Israel.

India vs. Brazil is also interesting. That really could go either way.

The rest should be routine wins for the clear favorites.

#13 ·
Is Fed gonna go to Kazakhstan? :angel:

#18 ·
Isner and Querrey can defeat either Giraldo or Falla. They aren't bad at all. I consider US as a favorite.

#21 ·
yup. Would be weird if India doesn't pick grass.

#22 ·
I think hard fits better India's #1 Somdev. I think I've read in a newspaper that there's a big chance they pick hard court. India has a tradition of playing on grass at home but they don't host a tie since 2008 - and since then Somdev raised in the rankings; also all tournaments in India (ATP, Challengers and futures) are actually played on hard, but then it was the same years ago and they still picked grass. I've been to the last meeting Brazil-India, I was a young kid :lol:

#23 · (Edited)
now the rumor is that Colombia is going to play the tie in the bullfighting ring instead of the usual venue (El Rancho Club, where they play the challengers and the WTA event)

No way they aren't playing in Bogotá, it's their stronghold but I think they are still losing to USA

Funniest thing: the bullfighting venue is near the eastern hills of the city, so it's even higher (aka faster) than the club :spit:

#31 ·
For Colombian daviscup Group is gonna be pretty difficult against the USA.It is more likely to lose than to win.:( Even tough Colombia is doing everything to create and excellent "slow" suface on La plaza de Toros.:yeah: No matter the results, Colombians are very happy cause is the first time that Colombia will play in the World Group play-offs. We are quite proud of our boys. And me in particular, just wait to be there to support the guys :angel:

PS: With "la Niña" phenomenon these days has been pretty cold here in Bogotá, probably in September would be cooler ;)

#25 · (Edited)
http://www.daviscup.com/news/newsarticle.asp?articleid=17037
10 Jun 2010
World Group play-off venues announced

Six of the venues for the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group play-offs have been announced. The ties are being played on 17-19 September.

Colombia v USA
– Plaza de Toros la Santamaria
– Bogota, Colombia

Israel v Austria*
– Nokia Arena
– Tel Aviv, Israel

* This tie is being played on 16, 17 and 19 September due to operational reasons

Germany v South Africa
– Tbc
– Tbc

Sweden v Italy
– Sparbanken Lidkoping Arena
– Lidkoping, Sweden

India v Brazil
– SDAT Tennis Stadium
– Chennai, India

Australia v Belgium
– Cairns Regional Tennis Centre
– Cairns, Australia

Kazakhstan v Switzerland
– The National Tennis Centre
– Astana, Kazakhstan

Romania v Ecuador
– Zone Arena
– Bucharest, Romania

The winners of the play-off ties will take their place in next year’s World Group, while the losers will compete in their respective Zone Groups in 2011.

#30 ·
:confused:

why this decision from colombians? :S
U expect to break Isner or Querrey on altituDE? :eek:
That's what I was going to say - how does putting those serves (Bob Bryan's included) on altitude help the colombians, unless the US guys simply can't adjust to it in time and get altitude sickness or something (which I would be pretty shocked by)? I would think if I'm the US team and I had to play on clay, I would be very glad it's at altitude. Other teams have intentionally put our guys at or below sea level for that very reason, with good results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.