Mens Tennis Forums banner

Grigor on Grass: 2012

12K views 171 replies 16 participants last post by  BlueLighthouse 
#1 ·
Hey everyone =]

Time to kick off the grass court season build up!

Grigor is on the entry list to play at Queen's Club London in about a weeks time. A place he has performed really well at in the past.

Hoping to watch him at Wimbledon again this year so if he gets drawn on a small court, expect photos and a match review :p

Who else is excited???

Mephi x

#94 ·
Not an easy draw but it could be a lot worse. He should go into the Anderson match with some confidence considering he beat him last week. Neither Baghdatis or Murray have been playing that well recently so we shouldn't feel too concerned if he goes through to meet them either.

People need to be more positive. I hope he plays on Court1 on Tuesday or Wednesday.

#96 ·
1st round wimby grisho vs anderson again. not easy, but not that bad. in 3 sets grisho has even bigger chances as he has more advantages. kevin has only serve, but i can't believe he will serve supremely 3 sets.

#97 ·
i dont think its a bad draw. play like he did at queens and round 3 beckons. if he can beat murray depends on how murray plays really, but hes got a chance of going far unlike if it was nadal or djokovic there

#99 ·
I will be at Wimbledon on Tuesday and have a ticket for Court1. Given his popularity at Queens, there is a very slight chance he might get put on that court but it is unlikely. If he gets put on a show court, I think Court2 is more likely. If he gets put on an outside court, I will definitely be watching him.

#100 ·
Well I think he will be on a show court, because the match with Anderson will be interesting and he got more popular in London after his run at Queens :) I don't think he will be on some of the bigger courts - CC, Court 1 or Court 2, but there're six more show courts - 3, 12, 14, 16, 17 and 18 and I think he will be on one of them :) We will find out tomorrow :)

#101 ·
3, 12, 14, 16, 17 and 18 aren't really show courts. They are nice courts with a fair amount of seating but you don't need specific tickets to get into them, your grounds-pass will be sufficient. If he's on Centre (unlikely) or 2 (quite likely) then I won't be able to see him unless he plays in the evening, in which case I might be able to get one of the re-sale tickets.

#115 ·
Ah great stuff guys! Now you gotta deliver on photos :p

Hope your having a great time there, sad i'm not there with you but it was defo the right decision for me not to queue up again as i'm really not very well today.

Just got to see the last few games online, looked like he played some high quality tennis again.

Look forward to hearing from you guys =]

Mephi x

#117 ·
it has been very quite here today, everybody is watching him life heheh
I am looking forward your reports and pictures!
Great stats for Grigor! I couldn't watch the match and hope to download it from somewhere but statistic is great!
71/22 W/UE :eek:
24 aces vs 20 for Anderson who served 75%,
0 DFs 11/11 BPs saved 2/7 BPs converted! :eek:
not being broken a single time for 4 sets is impressive :worship:

Good luck against Baghadis, It won't be an easy but I hope he wins and settles a match vs Murray! :)

#122 ·
I am very pleased with how he played yesterday, I was amazed at some of the shots he hit. I got 10x more excited watching that match than any others. That one backhand pass down the line :worship:

Me and chantelle from here randomly sat next to each other as well, which was pretty funny. We went to see him after the match and both got photos :eek: :) Great day overall

#124 ·
After two days of great tennis i finally have a chance to post about the match. Court3 is a nice court but when you go to the unallocated seats, you cant leave! I got on the court at 10.30 and sat through a crap women's match that went to 3 sets and never seemed to end. I really wanted to go to the toilet after that but there was no way i was losing my seat as there was a big queue to get on court. I just had to hope Grigor won in 3 sets and there was no rain delay. Sadly i was wrong about both but i stayed strong lol.

Grigor got abig cheer when je came on court and apart from a few south africans, everyone was supporting him. His serve was awsome, especially the one out eide in the deuce court. He killed anderson with his backhand slice who was digging balls out of the dirt all day. He also handled anderson's big serve very well and i felt confident he would finf a way to break it. All the magic came from Grigor wjo hit some amazing passing shots and winners that had the crowd cheering. His topspin backhand was a little unreliable but when it worked, it did a fair amount of damage. The best thing thougj was the way Grigor handled the big points. Clutch tennis at its finest and a big change from earlier this year. He is like a different player and looks confident on court.

He reacyed well to losing the 3rd set and kept putting pressure on anderson's serve, finally breaking it. When he won the match, he got a great reception from the crowd and it is clear his profile has really been raised in Britain since Queens. When he starts winning big matches, he will be a huge star.

Im on a train to Scotland now and i should br home after 4pm. Hopefully i will get to see his match today. Marcus will be tough but Grigor cam win it and a match against Murray on CC would be incredible!. If anyone can record today/s match it would be great. Ibwill upload my .photos when i get achance.

I had an awesome time and if any of you get a chance to see Grigor live, take it! His game is absolutely stunning and live streams just dont do it justice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.