Mens Tennis Forums banner

The Filippo Volandri cheering thread

81K views 878 replies 79 participants last post by  Filo V. 
#1 ·
I think Filippo deserves a cheering thread. He was amazing in Umag, where he reached his first ATP final and gave Moya a run for his money. He created quite a stir in Umag, and I hope he returns next year. :)

He is described as a serious, modest and sincere player, who is a gentleman both on and off the court, and I have to concur with that from what I've seen. He often applauds his oppenent's great shots. :) I find that admirable. I want all my faves to believe in sportsmanship.

I find his groundstrokes incredibly beautiful and elegant, especially his backhand. He's also amazingly fast and will return just about anything back into court. He says of himself that he is an aggressive player who likes to hit winners from the baseline, only he prefers his forehand. ;)

Pics from Umag...

See less See more
#2 ·
yeah he's a very nice guy,very shy!I'm italian so i watched lots of his interviews and he's really sweet.he deserves this thread!thanks for creating it! :)

#3 ·
Well, I've got Italian blood so I feel the need to cheer on Filippo as well. :D

Reactions: Layla
#5 ·
I didn't know that either Leo. :D I'm sorry to say I don't have any Italian blood in me. :(

Thanks for the info Lindsayfan. I'm glad you think he's sweet. :) I only saw one interview with him and I had the same impression.

#6 ·
it's not an opinion...HE'S SWEET FOR SURE! ;)
I met him in Palermo last year and he was very nice to everyone,i hope to meet him also this year (if he comes to play).I want to take a pic of him and me together.He's also very humble,and funny!
when they asked him what was his dream in his life,the reporter expected him to answer:"to win Wimby or RG" or stg like this. Instead he simply answered: "a night with Nina Moric" (a famous croatian model who lives in Italy) and everyone laughed! :D

Reactions: Layla
#7 ·
:lol:Yes, he was quite interested in girls in Umag. ;)

It's great that you got to meet him. :D I hope he plays in Palermo (he should relly), so you can see him again. :)

He's playing the Long Island qualifiers today and his first round opponent is Kenneth Carlsen, who can be very dangerous on fast courts. :awww:

Good luck Filippo, you need some practice for the US Open!

#11 ·
omg thanks Layla!ur report is great!Filippo is a sweetheart,I'll probably get his match on tv here in Italy.If so,i'll do a little report.
plz can u tell me stg more about Wawrinka?you think he'll become really good?he just won 2 challengers in a row!

I ignored Rebecca's board...:confused:

#12 · (Edited)
Ciao ! I'm from Italy !

This is my first post on this forum !

I want to Thank for the photos of one of my favourites players and even a friend of mine. If you want to see same photo of him, I have some in my web Site : Tournaments of Biella, Stoccarda, San Remo and Barcelona.

You have to go to my web site, click on TRASFERTE TENNISTICHE and choose th tournament link you want.

I Am a supporter of the italian players.

There is even all the season 2003 analyse on TENNISTI ITALIANI - Choose Filippo Volandri.

My Personal Web Site : www.acquistagabri.it ( TENNIS )

#14 ·
Hey guys!

What great taste in players you have :D
I met Filippo in Sydney/Melbourne this year nd he was just the sweetest thing! I think I confused him a bit. He was training on the court next to JCF... and I was watching Filippo train. Just my preference. He prob thought I was nuts, not gawking at jcf.

He's in my top 20 players I'd say. (For being so polite to my friend and I!)

#16 ·
Hey all My first post on this forum and seeing as Im half Italian, may it go to my fave player Filippo. His form recently has dipped a bit and now he is near number 60 in the world but pnce more impressed in Rome.

Hopefully he will regain his sweet shots of last year for the French Open and make an impression. Its a shame he has the worst serve out of the top 100 players because with a good serve he good be successful. I am hoping he and Andreas Seppi can become top 30 players.

#17 ·
In to the quarters of the tournament of St Poelten, Austria. He plays either Hanescu or Zimonjic so he has agood chance to get to the semis although it will be tough.

So far:

1st round: Volandri def. Berdych 6-3 6-1
2nd round: Volandri def. Sluiter 6-4 6-2

#20 ·
Volandri won the final in style 61 64, h a nervy spell in it but he is finally showing his promise. His first ATP title and now to the Frnch Open, where I hope he can get past a few rounds.

#21 ·
I saw Volandri in round 1 of Wimbledon and he is a rally great player. He did well just to go through 1 round here and should be proud of reaching the 2nd round and pushing Goran very far!!!

#22 ·
hi, i'm a big ferrero supporter, but i was watching volandri and ivanisevic's match and i thought volandri was playing extremely good tennis, i think if he had taken on ferrero sometime in the tournament he would have beaten him, but i still prefer ferrero. And to that lucky person who had the oppurtunity to see JCF train, i can't believe u didn't watch ferrero, u have no idea what i would give to see ferrero.

#23 ·
I saw Ferrero on court 1 when he lost to Ginepri, h looked out of form it has o be said

Volandri against Goran was good but he tightens up too much when he has a chance of winning which is my main critcism to him, hes done it so much this year... on the verge of winning then being scared.

#26 ·
Another win in round 2 over another qualifier Florent Serra... 75 60. Now he faces Vliegen and should get to the semis where his main test will start. Forza Volandri!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.