Mens Tennis Forums banner

Rainer Schuettler to Retire in 2012

7K views 63 replies 46 participants last post by  Sapeod 
#1 ·
Rainer Schüttler said in an interview 2012 will be his last year on tour. "There is no date or special tournament, but for sure I won't play anymore in 2013."

Link in German

#7 ·
Re: Schüttler: 2012 is my last year

Boring player, but always great to see players staying competitive at that age.

#10 ·

Good luck to him in his final year. He has done exceptionally well to last as long as he has.

#11 ·

Quite surprised he hasn't called it quits already. Will have to play Challengers in 2012 and I'm just not convinced he'll be able to cut the mustard. Might see him throwing in the towel rather early in the year if his ranking keeps sliding.

#16 ·

It makes sense for him to finish in his home country and on his best surface in Halle. But he's played Queen's the last two years for some reason. :confused:

One more taste of the top 100 would be a nice surprise.

#23 ·

The German Marathon man is really something else. Hard not to respect his career achievements, even when disregarding the length of time he's managed to last.

#26 ·

Hard not to respect his career achievements
Then again, it might not be so hard over a forum.

#24 ·

I know he's had his entourage, but what's there to love, beats me.

Can't even imagine sweet poignant speeches in a dozen or so years when Donald Young, that titan of this game, decides to call it quits. From "you will be sorely missed :sad:" to "you redefined the role of African Americans in the world of today and tomorrow :sad:"

Sheesh.

#25 ·

He wasn't really good enough. He will be forgotten.

#30 ·

I must admit that I had forgotten about him until I saw this thread! :lol:

He hasn't played since AO qualies, as others say. It is hard to pick an event for him to retire at, especially as the German events don't seem 'suitable' for him. It wouldn't seem right for him to retire at a German clay event, considering that it isn't his best surface and he'd be a sitting duck. Grass might be preferable, but he hasn't played Halle for a few years. :shrug:

He might have been best retiring at the Australian Open, considering that it was the scene of his best Slam performance. However, it would have been better if he'd lost off a WC entry, rather than in the qualies.

Wimbledon could be the next best alternative...he was good on grass, and had that shock SF a few years ago. Considering the AELTC's headache with WC selection (only Ward, Evans, and maybe Baker will realistically be in the running), they could probably throw one at him.

As for his career, fair play to him for maximising his potential. Most would probably say that he overachieved. Moreover, to be ranked around the top 100 at the age of 35 was an excellent achievement, considering that his biggest weapon is probably his stamina, athleticism and patience. In an increasingly physical game, that is impressive.

I watched him live at Wimbledon last year, and it was quite pleasurable to see him school Bellucci. :tape:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.