Is Sandusky's 15 minutes already up?
A new alleged victim of the Penn State child sex abuse scandal claimed in court papers Wednesday that former university football coach Jerry Sandusky "sexually abused" him more than 100 times during a four-year period and threatened to harm his family if he spoke out.
The accuser, now 30 years old, claims in the first lawsuit prompted by the abuse inquiry that his "unwanted" contact with Sandusky — charged last month with 40 criminal counts involving eight alleged victims — began when he was 10 years old and taking part in The Second Mile, a charity for at-risk children founded by Sandusky. He said the alleged misconduct occurred at multiple locations, including a university locker room, Sandusky's home and at the site of a Penn State football bowl game.
"I'm … taking this action because I don't want other kids to be hurt and abused by Jerry Sandusky or anybody," the unidentified accuser said in a statement released by his lawyers. "I never told anybody what he did to me over 100 times at all kinds of places until the newspapers reported that he had abused other kids and the people at Penn State and The Second Mile didn't do the things they should have to protect me and the other kids."
The alleged victim said he had been "hurting for a long time because of what happened" and now feels "even more tormented that I have learned of so many other kids were abused after me. "
The lawsuit, which names Sandusky, Penn State University and The Second Mile as defendants in a 27-page claim, seeks at least $400,000 in damages. It also alleges negligence and that the three defendants conspired to "endanger children."
Sandusky's attorney, Joseph Amendola, did not respond to a request for comment.