Mens Tennis Forums banner

Sacramento SF: Karlovic d Querrey 7-6(8),3-6,6-4

1K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  mooncreek 
#1 ·
Strong semi for a Challenger. Despite winning 10 fewer point Karlovic pulled it out. Should be a Karlovic vs Blake final.

#3 ·
Good for the game.

#5 ·
Good to see former top guys trying to get back their games by playing challengers instead of whining for wild cards like Ivanovic.

#7 ·
Ivo's carrying three 0s in optional tournaments on his ranking and at #76 and no protected ranking he couldn't get into Japan or China this week so challenger makes sense. If he can replace one of those 0s with a 100 here it should do some major help by boosting him back near #60 so he can start getting back into ATP events.

#8 ·
Querry, will he ever get his form back? not to say anything against IVO, he definitely has game but Querrey is so different now than only a year and a half ago

#9 ·
The problem is that he's not serious about tennis competition.

If he had the will and desire of the players his height, he would have made an excellent challenger.

He's got a solid serve and a strong forehand all thanks to his height. But he doesn't show any passion or commitment.

#13 ·
Forget feeling sorry for Querrey or Ivo, they'll be back up where they belong soon enough. I feel sorry for the actual challenger level players who have to compete with these ATP level players. Even Blake's in this tournament.. harsh.

#18 ·
Maybe Blake could have played the Asia swing (at least for the 250 and 500 events - I believe Donald Young was around the same ranking prior to his Bangkok run) but if it's possible for him to stay in the US and build up the points, I say go for it. Querrey - how can you even judge his game right now when the loss is to Karlovic? - has no choice but to play events like this because he's outside the Top 100.

I think it's fascinating that a challenger tournament could draw serious American interest - and revenue. Outside of an event like Sunrise, that's pretty cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.