Are Fed and Djoker fans really that different? - MensTennisForums.com
 20Likes
  • 1 Post By tvitinman
  • 3 Post By BlackeyeVuk
  • 5 Post By Cloren
  • 4 Post By Phenomenadal
  • 3 Post By clearwaters
  • 3 Post By Secondeuce
  • 1 Post By Shapovalover
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
tvitinman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 890
                     
Are Fed and Djoker fans really that different?

This is only "tennis" wise... comments like "Fed fans are better looking" are missing the point
But seriously - here's the dilemma: The way I see it, both camps are filled with tennis aficionados and students of the game. And I attribute that to their "idols"... But the "strife" and bickering, often followed with stupid meanness, are at times just over the top. And (deep down) do not represent genuine feelings. So, let's take it apart:

1. Fed - the art of his game simply invites the audience to "try to understand". Every tool in his bag is a little work of art... Forehand, Backhand, return-slice, movement... omg the movement... you name it. In almost everything he does one can see the "strive to perfection" and hours upon hours of contemplation/understanding and crafting every little nuance about it. It's nothing but intoxicating and admiration-worthy.
2. Djoker - he comes from the Sun Tzu manual... Everything has a purpose, everything is measured, tactics and strategy are one, the questions he asks during the point are as unpredictable as they are damaging and mesmerizing. His defense is offense, his offense is ruthless. What he tells us is: apply and commit yourself, give it what it needs and dont stop improving/preparing - and you'll see the tree of success growing.

So, can we summarize this to "Artist" vs "Warrior" dichotomy?
Are they really that different?
Yes, the sheer talent Fed was blessed with is one-in-a-billion (but how many talents dissipated in oblivion without reaching anything?) , but isn't Djoker's "Anything is possible if you give yourself to it" equally impressive?
There's also the perception about their "personalities"...
One camp holds that Fed is "class", "gentleman", etc and that Djoker is "crass", "too open", "silly", "Jester"... The other camp praise Djoker's spirit, will, strength and what they see as Djoker being "inviting" - while they frown upon Fed's "arrogance", "passive-aggressive personality", "sore looser" persona...

But - I'm sure that most, if not all, Fed and Djoker fans:
a) have high respect for the craft and perfection of both players
b) understand that most of the "personality" stuff is inaccurate/superficial/PR engineered ...
c) love to watch both players and enjoy the tennis they produce

Soooo... what are your thoughts?
paca likes this.

Last edited by tvitinman; 06-13-2016 at 06:02 AM.
tvitinman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 07:40 AM
Registered User
 
janko05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,301
                     
Re: Are Fed and Djoker fans really that different?

here we go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by: Toni Nadal
Rafael has won more titles than Novak Djokovic, but speaking merely about tennis and about the game, Rafa has to be considered slightly lower than Djokovic. The Serb is such a good player that he is as close as you can get to Roger Federer
janko05 is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 07:48 AM
Registered User
 
Ja znam sebe...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Age: 42
Posts: 1,510
                     
Re: Are Fed and Djoker fans really that different?

It should be quite easy to answer that - no, they (we) are not same, although they are doing the same thing, root for their favorite.

I've read somewhere that chronology of relationships between fan bases is very important thing that should be taken into consideration.
It's not unknown fact that Nole fans have been greeted with ridiculing from the start. At one point Fed fans had sympathies towards Nole fans because of Nadal, but that didn't last long. Nole and Fed's relationship also didn't help much for that matter.

Anyway, nice of you OP for put some things into different perspective. Nobody likes to have full time job as a keyboard warrior - people need to calm down.

Djokotard - an expression which finally got it's true meaning through unseen hate and jealousy some nutcases are showing towards Djokovic
Ja znam sebe... is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 09:27 AM
Registered User
 
BlackeyeVuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Belgrade
Age: 31
Posts: 3,439
                     
Re: Are Fed and Djoker fans really that different?

Tards are tards. There is no difference , except their name among various clans.
clandis, swissmaestro92 and vjmtz like this.

⊙‿⊙ Oh yeah baby im creeping on you.
http://oi45.tinypic.com/30kbm90.jpg

"Deus. Renatus. Invictus. Exterminatus."
BlackeyeVuk is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 09:38 AM
Registered User
 
Cloren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 15,320
                     
Re: Are Fed and Djoker fans really that different?

More or less they show a big level of tardism but the big difference is that Fedtards are more elitist while Djokertards victimize themselves too much.
BlackeyeVuk, Andrej, Wazza and 2 others like this.
Cloren is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 09:41 AM
Delicious
 
Phenomenadal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Yarra River
Posts: 3,537
                     
Re: Are Fed and Djoker fans really that different?

They're both great, really. Really nice people very down to earth. lovely. Just wonderful
Phenomenadal is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 09:43 AM
Registered User
 
Shinoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: My Flag
Posts: 4,436
                     
Re: Are Fed and Djoker fans really that different?

I see federer as a perfect artist and see djoker as a Marauding Army General. He doesnt have any weakness, he will hit deep iron laden forehand and backhand to you, subjugating to you to the point of desperation where you will over hit a FH or BH, or try some crazy 1 in a million shot which, more often than not, goes out. He systematically kills you, pillage you, maraud you..There is not getting away from him.

A perfect Serial Killer, the way I see Djoker.
Shinoj is online now  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 09:56 AM
Registered User
 
clearwaters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 25
Posts: 4,193
                     
Re: Are Fed and Djoker fans really that different?

The major difference is Fed has the ability to convert non-tennis fans into tennis fans because of the artistic quality of his tennis which has universal appeal.
Djokovic doesn't have that quality.
Another issue is do we also call glory hunters Djokovic fans? There are real fans that follow him for who he is and his tennis and there are serbians and glory hunters support him because he's winning and they will be gone when Djokovic starts losing. No such issue for Fed as anyone following him till this day is a true fan.
Wazza, Secondeuce and paca like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Federer after winning Wimbledon 2017
I guess again it's just belief, achieve such heights. I wasn't sure if I was going to be here again after last year. I've had some tough finals. I always believed I could come back here again. I kept believing and dreaming and here I am today.
clearwaters is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 10:20 AM
Registered User
 
Secondeuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,633
                     
Re: Are Fed and Djoker fans really that different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvitinman View Post
c) love to watch both players and enjoy the tennis they produce
No, just no. There are very few players who I like to watch less than Djokovic. Cilic or Troicki for example have a boring game as well, but at least the results of their matches aren't a foregone conclusion.

Sure, some people like the gumby style and think it special. It's certainly special, as in nobody else doing it, but I find it ugly, unnatural in a way and prefer not to watch, especially since there's not even excitement or drama in it. It's effective, yes and he is obviously a successful and dominant player, but I rather watch Federer in a 250 than Djokovic in the RG final.

That's why I have seen only 2 of his 2016 matches to date (AO SF because of his opponent and Rome F because of a rainy day). That's just the way it is.
alypen, Wazza and clearwaters like this.

"The point is that to root for Federer is to root for a Platonic ideal. It is like rooting for truth. (...) Detractors who said, “Don’t you get tired of him winning all the time?” were missing the point. Every victory was a validation. No one gets bored by the sun coming up in the morning."

http://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/big-shot
Secondeuce is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 10:28 AM
Registered User
 
Noleoleoleole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,338
                     
Re: Are Fed and Djoker fans really that different?

There's an air of obnoxiousness and gutter-elitism in Federer fans that I can't stand. I'd compare the way they treat other people like having the delusion of thinking you're above everyone else as you shake an empty coffee cup and beg for spare change on the street. Federer the man I can stand even less, but his game is nice to watch at times.

Djokovic fans are passionate, loud and can frustrate I'm sure so in those ways we're both like the people we support.

26-23
23-22
24-10
21-4
12 | 29 | 5 | 4

W-F-W-W-W-W
Noleoleoleole is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 08:21 AM
Registered User
 
Djoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 8,946
                     
Re: Are Fed and Djoker fans really that different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noleoleoleole View Post
There's an air of obnoxiousness and gutter-elitism in Federer fans that I can't stand. I'd compare the way they treat other people like having the delusion of thinking you're above everyone else as you shake an empty coffee cup and beg for spare change on the street.
This really applies to almost all Fedtards.
There are some really genuine Fed fans who don't act as elitist as it is expected from them, but they are the minority.
Also I always thought that while Federer created his own myth, his fans just created nothing on their own. They are just trying to mimick Federer... which is clearly showing their own unoriginality.

Now compare this with Djokovic fans who are often out of the box and their minds are way hard to decipher. Of course I think here of the more sophisticated ones though, not of some cheap trolls.

I am the Christopher Lasch of MTF
Djoker is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 09:43 AM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 6,803
                     
Re: Are Fed and Djoker fans really that different?

Fedtards is easily the worst fanbase ever. I'm not talking about everyone who supports Federer, but about most of them. I encountered 5-6 people who had been thinking of suicide because of tennis results, and all of them were Fedtards. They stated something like "Ugly Nadal beating beautiful Federer is a big injustice and, if he breaks his records, I see no sense to keep living". We can also recall that moron who wrote "Federer as a religious experience" and you know the way he left this world. Maybe, it wasn't due to Federer, but still proves Federer fans suffering from a deep depression. And that's the problem. Fedtards treat Federer as a God and don't realize that all the Swiss does on the court is a result of very very hard work and he is the same athlete as RAFA, Djokovic, Murray, etc. They refuse to admit that the reason why Federer was beating his opponents isn't better technique, but better footwork.
nadalfan2007 is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 10:38 AM
Registered User
 
swissmaestro92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 660
                     
Re: Are Fed and Djoker fans really that different?

Fans are fans, there will always be arguments between communities. Just as Fed and Djokovic battle on the court.

ROGER FEDERER 04, 06, 07, 10, 17, 09, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 12, 17, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08

RAFAEL NADAL: 09, 05, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, 08, 10, 10, 13

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: 08, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 16, 11, 14, 15, 11, 15
swissmaestro92 is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 10:50 AM
Registered User
 
paca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 499
                     
Re: Are Fed and Djoker fans really that different?

The reason Federer and Nadal fans are/were so toxic towards each other is because the two men represent completely different ideals. I dare say Nadal fans tend to be less intellectual, less artistic, and more appreciative of hard work and fighting spirit, whereas Federer's are the opposite.

Novak and Roger clearly are very different players, but the differences between their fans tend to be less fundamental and ideological and more to do with whose game they prefer to watch, their personalities, and so on.
paca is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 08:17 PM
Registered User
 
Shapovalover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 964
                     
Re: Are Fed and Djoker fans really that different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2007 View Post
Fedtards is easily the worst fanbase ever. I'm not talking about everyone who supports Federer, but about most of them. I encountered 5-6 people who had been thinking of suicide because of tennis results, and all of them were Fedtards. They stated something like "Ugly Nadal beating beautiful Federer is a big injustice and, if he breaks his records, I see no sense to keep living". We can also recall that moron who wrote "Federer as a religious experience" and you know the way he left this world. Maybe, it wasn't due to Federer, but still proves Federer fans suffering from a deep depression. And that's the problem. Fedtards treat Federer as a God and don't realize that all the Swiss does on the court is a result of very very hard work and he is the same athlete as RAFA, Djokovic, Murray, etc. They refuse to admit that the reason why Federer was beating his opponents isn't better technique, but better footwork.
Wow. You really outdid yourself here. This has to be the most hateful comment I've read on these forums. I'm trying really hard not to be disgusted about your demonization of David Foster Wallace's suicide. You need to check yourself. I realize that you treat MTF as a place for anonymous trashtalk and I should interpret everything you say as empty fanboyspeak, but there needs to be a line.
Lazyguy likes this.
Shapovalover is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome