Tennis > Baseball Because.... - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,681
                     
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
So, of course, being an American automatically warrants people calling tennis a non-manly sport. This especially comes from a friend of mine who happens to play baseball one of the wussiest sports I know. For those of you not too familiar with baseball, 75% of it is just standing around.

So we always have arguments about it, and I always end up winning because I'm a GOAT arguer Give reasons why tennis is more physically demanding, more difficult to play, and why it's just generally better:

Have fun.
Do you Yanks consider basketball to be a non-manly sport?
Wing Man Frank is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,524
                     
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asadinator View Post
You should try cricket. Balls are even harder and you are allowed to aim at the head. In the olden days there was no helmets too, if you got hit in the head well that is your death sentence.
Well that's just stupid!
Mjau! is offline  
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Registered User
 
Saberq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,983
                     
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
It's probably one of the best kept secrets too, considering it's barely relevant outside of US and Japan
I tried to teach a few Serbs baseball it didnt work.........they cant learn that
Saberq is offline  
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Freak3yman84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 12,426
                     
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
Do you Yanks consider basketball to be a non-manly sport?
Yes.

Oh Sheesh Y'all, 'Twas A Dream

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but seven

W Houston and Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut W Orleans (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus) Tashkent S&D (w/ Mr Brightside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is offline  
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 01:54 PM
Registered User
 
End da Game's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,523
                     
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

- in tennis, you're on your own, no teammates no managers to back you up when you're out there, its a gladiatorial fight between two men
- tennis has got to be one of the most complete sport in that tennis players have to fully utilize virtually every key part of their body, it combines accuracy with pure strength
End da Game is offline  
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Registered User
 
GOATsol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 21
Posts: 2,848
                     
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

I also dislike the pants baseball players wear.

Federer will win another grand slam.
Cilic is not a one slam wonder.
GOATsol is offline  
post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Registered User
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Buenos Aires
Age: 35
Posts: 2,207
                     
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

basewhat? fuck, I do highly dislike that "sport".. is it even a sport? only played in US and some remote island.

Supporting the Ballbasher Nation, some of our proud soldiers:
Juan Martin del Potro - Robin Soderling - Ernests Gulbis - Thomas Berdych - Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Exiled: Janowicz
Pusher Nation's Reign of Terror is coming to an end, their borders are conquered and we won't take any prisoners!
Get Ready King Mandy!

everytime Mandy wins, a little ballbasher kitty dies somewhere... Save kitties; support Ballbasher Nation
Lestat is offline  
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Freak3yman84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 12,426
                     
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
basewhat? fuck, I do highly dislike that "sport".. is it even a sport? only played in US and some remote island.
Exactly.

Oh Sheesh Y'all, 'Twas A Dream

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but seven

W Houston and Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut W Orleans (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus) Tashkent S&D (w/ Mr Brightside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is offline  
post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Freak3yman84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 12,426
                     
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajk822 View Post
I played baseball from the age of 3 until I turned 19. I now play tennis. You cannot compare the fear you feel in baseball to anything in tennis. You cannot call a baseball player a wuss when they constantly have a projectile flying at them at upwards of 90mph that (unlike a tennis ball) can do serious damage. When I was 11 I cracked an opponents rib by hitting them with a pitch. Once again, at the age of 11. Imagine what older/more skilled people do. Thankfully I never had any severe injuries in my time, but I've seen quite a few bad ones.

On the flip side, I would argue they're basically the same level of "manliness". Every sport you play there's going to be a testosterone, jacked up, I'm better than you, type feeling. In baseball I always got it when I struck someone out on a fastball. There was something to the feeling of my best being better than yours. The hitter most likely knew it was coming and still couldn't hit it. It gets you pumped up. In tennis I get the same feeling when I hit an ace, or even more so when I hit a return winner. I don't know why on the return winner other than that the other person is supposed to be in control of the point with the serve and then I immediately take it away. Anyway...

Tennis is no doubt more physically demanding, and that's not a contest. But there's an argument to be made that being a high level baseball player (specifically a hitter) is harder than being a high level tennis player. I personally don't care which is harder. I love both sports and just wish I was much better at them.
Beating someone up is scary for the person being beaten up, and does that make the person being beat up manly?

Oh Sheesh Y'all, 'Twas A Dream

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but seven

W Houston and Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut W Orleans (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus) Tashkent S&D (w/ Mr Brightside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is offline  
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,681
                     
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajk822 View Post
I played baseball from the age of 3 until I turned 19. I now play tennis. You cannot compare the fear you feel in baseball to anything in tennis. You cannot call a baseball player a wuss when they constantly have a projectile flying at them at upwards of 90mph that (unlike a tennis ball) can do serious damage.
Last time I checked you weren't allowed to chuck a baseball at an opponent? Kinda makes your point moot doesn't it now?
Wing Man Frank is offline  
post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Registered User
 
PiggyGotRoasted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 2,682
                     
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

Baseball is a wussy sport, you can just stand there and not do anything. It takes a true man to be able to be a proper athlete needed to play tennis
PiggyGotRoasted is offline  
post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Registered User
 
Roy Emerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,769
                     
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

You can't be a successful player with a beer belly.
Roy Emerson is offline  
post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 02:37 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 53
Posts: 76
                     
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

Well it's perfect for Americans. You can be a fat baseball player and still make it to the top. Also, the thought of a sport where you can sit / stand around 90% of the time must be awesome to fat people.
Hans Anders is offline  
post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 02:42 PM
-LIFETIME SCIENTIST-
 
redshift36188's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 30
Posts: 7,370
                     
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

I don't think Baseball is a wuss sport nor do I find that discussion relevant. Tennis is simply more complex and dynamic, that's why it is better.
redshift36188 is offline  
post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Rankings Master
 
Slasher1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Age: 30
Posts: 12,649
                     
Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

Americans have strange sporting tastes. Basketball is the only "passion" they have which I'm also watching about 1% of my sport-watching time. I consider baseball too boring for my tastes, and American football significantly inferior to rugby (league being my favorite). But since they also don't like other team sports played around the world (like European football/soccer, handball, volleyball), the feeling is mutual.

FULL ATP LIVE RANKINGS
FULL ATP LIVE RACE
LIVE 52-WEEK FORECAST: [0-26][27-52][RACE TO RIO]
LIVE 52-WEEK POINT PREVIEW
Slasher's Greatest of all Time List



Game of Thrones in a single phrase (S6 finale):
 
Jon Targaryen Snow, The King in the Fucking North
Slasher1985 is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome