Roger Federer: the Ego has Landed - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 910 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 03:49 PM
Registered User
 
Or Levy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,082
                     
Re: Roger Federer: the Ego has Landed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyBorg View Post
I can bring up examples of his temper tantrums if you like, but it doesn't matter.

I'm not trying to stir up the emotions of Federer supporters. Federer is not a bad person because he's spoiled. And spoiled doesn't mean that he's a jerk. By spoiled I mean that he's rich, has a higher opinion of himself than normal and frankly is quite shallow, which is the result of not being particularly intelligent (as most tennis players aren't as well).
Roger's spoiled cause he's rich? Roger only been rich for a couple of years, worked his tail off for the money and fame. Spoiled is what I would call a guy who had things HANDED to him. Roger had nothing handed to him, nor did he peak early. He still remembers the painful defeats, that what makes him a champion.
Or Levy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 910 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 03:56 PM
Registered User
 
CyBorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,166
                     
Re: Roger Federer: the Ego has Landed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Or Levy View Post
Roger's spoiled cause he's rich? Roger only been rich for a couple of years, worked his tail off for the money and fame. Spoiled is what I would call a guy who had things HANDED to him. Roger had nothing handed to him, nor did he peak early. He still remembers the painful defeats, that what makes him a champion.
Roger has always been rich. And I'm not saying that he's necessarily spoiled because of his tennis. He's just spoiled in general, pampered, consumerist. I bet he has never finished a book in his life.
CyBorg is offline  
post #33 of 910 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 03:58 PM
country flag G4.
Registered User
 
G4.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,894
                     
Re: Roger Federer: the Ego has Landed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyBorg View Post
I bet he has never finished a book in his life.
what does that have to do with him being rich (or spoiled) ? i fail to understand your logic
G4. is offline  
post #34 of 910 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Registered User
 
CyBorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,166
                     
Re: Roger Federer: the Ego has Landed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4. View Post
what does that have to do with him being rich (or spoiled) ? i fail to understand your logic
Everything. Roger is content on pretending to be sophisticated by wearing expensive clothes (based on an actual Roger quote). After all, no one will tell him that there's anything wrong with that. He'll be surrounded by butt-kissers for the rest of his life.

But he is still a nice guy. Don't get me wrong.
CyBorg is offline  
post #35 of 910 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 04:07 PM
Registered User
 
calvinhobbes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 929
                     
Re: Roger Federer: the Ego has Landed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnWinner View Post
hist interview against Gonzalez was worse, this is nothing compared to that


Q. Since you became No. 1 you've never lost to so many different players. What's the meaning of that? The competition is getting harder?
ROGER FEDERER: Uhm, well, I mean, look, it's not that easy to keep up the pace I have the last few years. I mean, let's not forget how great they were. I had one season where I lost a lot to Rafa. Obviously that takes away. I didn't lose to many players, you know.
It's true maybe I went for more in a run. I won more titles than this year. But, I mean, defended my No. 1 title and won the Grand Slams. I don't need to sing a song, but it's been another fantastic season.
Some players or people might think now he's more vulnerable. I disagree obviously. I'm going to hopefully show them again this week and then obviously next year again.
It is not narcissism to recognize facts that have really happened. Roger says it is difficult to maintain the magnificent trend of 2006 in which, apart from Nadal, he lost so few matches. Nobody, not even him, can deny that 2006 was an ideal season. Compared to that this one could be dismissed by some, but hopefully he will show that 2007 was also a very good year. The bolded word separates facts from legitimate aspirations.
Where is the narcissism?
calvinhobbes is offline  
post #36 of 910 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 04:11 PM
Registered User
 
R.Federer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,821
                     
Re: Roger Federer: the Ego has Landed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
Federer, well humility is not his strong showing.

However, I can imagine it to be much more cringeworthy if there was false modesty.

Q. Watching last night's match against Andy, one was tempted to conclude he really lacks the tools and variety to challenge you, at least at the moment. If you compare tonight's match with yesterday's match, it's a similar pattern. When you're playing like this, are there any answers to your game you see on the horizon in the men's game? Is there any difference between the challenge you felt in the course of the match between tonight and last night?





ROGER FEDERER: I don't know what to say, I am shocked I won. I don't really have the tools to win against Andy, he is a vastly better players as everyone knows, but I just got so lucky this and the other 14 times. Of course I am always nervous because when I am about to get on a roll I am always worried that I won't be able to keep it up and choke in the end. I don't really think I have much talent, although people say that, they are mistaken you know, it just sometimes looks like that I am not sure why.
Today I was so lucky to beat Andy but most other players would have beaten me.
R.Federer is offline  
post #37 of 910 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Banned!
 
Corey Feldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 95,412
                     
Re: Roger Federer: the Ego has Landed Again

Absolutely dreadful, to say things that are true......... shoot the bastard.

i prefer those comments to false modesty comments from Nadiva.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yana
L_mac, why don't you like Djoko, BTW? He's just an irritating kid, that's all
irritating kid yeah.. just like you

moaning about Fed's comments even though we all know if Djokovic was a bar of chocolate he would have eaten himself by now.

if ppl dont like players you like, T.S.
Corey Feldman is offline  
post #38 of 910 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 04:12 PM
country flag G4.
Registered User
 
G4.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,894
                     
Re: Roger Federer: the Ego has Landed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyBorg View Post
Everything. Roger is content on pretending to be sophisticated by wearing expensive clothes (based on an actual Roger quote). After all, no one will tell him that there's anything wrong with that. He'll be surrounded by butt-kissers for the rest of his life.

But he is still a nice guy. Don't get me wrong.
Rappers or footballers who come from poor backgrounds do the same. And i think i would probably do the same if i were rich
G4. is offline  
post #39 of 910 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Age: 33
Posts: 6,071
                     
Re: Roger Federer: the Ego has Landed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinhobbes View Post
It is not narcissism to recognize facts that have really happened. Roger says it is difficult to maintain the magnificent trend of 2006 in which, apart from Nadal, he lost so few matches. Nobody, not even him, can deny that 2006 was an ideal season. Compared to that this one could be dismissed by some, but hopefully he will show that 2007 was also a very good year. The bolded word separates facts from legitimate aspirations.
Where is the narcissism?
where did I say he is narcissus?
ReturnWinner is offline  
post #40 of 910 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 04:17 PM
Registered User
 
CyBorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,166
                     
Re: Roger Federer: the Ego has Landed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4. View Post
Rappers or footballers who come from poor backgrounds do the same. And i think i would probably do the same if i were rich
Yes, Roger is no different from most people. He was born into a rich family and has always been exposed to certain pleasures in life.

Credit must be given where it's due: he moved out of the house early, travelled like crazy as a teen (probably was homesick a lot), and in general earned his way to where he is right now. This is for sure.
CyBorg is offline  
post #41 of 910 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 04:19 PM
country flag rwn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 612
                     
Re: Roger Federer: the Ego has Landed Again

Federer is just honest. You won't see the false humility Sampras had.
rwn is offline  
post #42 of 910 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Registered User
 
tennizen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 27,276
                     
Re: Roger Federer: the Ego has Landed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Federer View Post
Federer, well humility is not his strong showing.

However, I can imagine it to be much more cringeworthy if there was false modesty.

Q. Watching last night's match against Andy, one was tempted to conclude he really lacks the tools and variety to challenge you, at least at the moment. If you compare tonight's match with yesterday's match, it's a similar pattern. When you're playing like this, are there any answers to your game you see on the horizon in the men's game? Is there any difference between the challenge you felt in the course of the match between tonight and last night?





ROGER FEDERER: I don't know what to say, I am shocked I won. I don't really have the tools to win against Andy, he is a vastly better players as everyone knows, but I just got so lucky this and the other 14 times. Of course I am always nervous because when I am about to get on a roll I am always worried that I won't be able to keep it up and choke in the end. I don't really think I have much talent, although people say that, they are mistaken you know, it just sometimes looks like that I am not sure why.
Today I was so lucky to beat Andy but most other players would have beaten me.
Good attempt at showing the other side. But I suppose there is a middle ground too(I personally don't mind his self praise. He could say " Well I am glad I have beaten him most times we have met. I suppose its hard for Roddick because its a bad matchup"

It is perfectly understandable if Nadal says in his presser that when Fed's playing like that, he's hard to beat. but it is definitely funny( only in a positive sense) if he says the same thing about himself

“For life be, after all, only a waitin' for somethin' else than what we're doin'; and death be all that we can rightly depend on.” - Bram Stoker, Dracula
tennizen is offline  
post #43 of 910 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 257
                     
Re: Roger Federer: the Ego has Landed Again

Awwww.. you got to love this (kind of) thread(s). Keep it up, it's very amusing!
radics is offline  
post #44 of 910 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 04:23 PM
POWER...UNLIMITED...POWER
 
Rafa = Fed Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Age: 32
Posts: 5,067
                     
Re: Roger Federer: the Ego has Landed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by radics View Post
Awwww.. you got to love this (kind of) thread(s). Keep it up, it's very amusing!
Another arrogant swiss who loves his god

The ATP deserves a better class of player, and I'm gonna give it to 'em - Djoker

RIP TENNIS JUNE 7, 2009


Do what must be done.
Do not hesitate.
Show no mercy.
Rafa = Fed Killa is offline  
post #45 of 910 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Registered User
 
yana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: verona
Posts: 2,832
                     
Re: Roger Federer: the Ego has Landed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escude View Post
Absolutely dreadful, to say things that are true......... shoot the bastard.

i prefer those comments to false modesty comments from Nadiva.

irritating kid yeah.. just like you

moaning about Fed's comments even though we all know if Djokovic was a bar of chocolate he would have eaten himself by now.

if ppl dont like players you like, T.S.

Thanks for reading me and thanks for all that goodrep aswell (even though the comments are kinda nasty)

But I still like you though...

BTW, I'm not moaning about Fed's comments, I about them

Corazón latino 2011

Rafael Feli Bandy
yana is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome