richest tennis player families - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 02:17 AM
Registered User
 
abraxas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 31
Posts: 14,422
                     
Re: richest tennis player families

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
Aren't most tennis players from well-off families?
yes, of course. tennis is quite expensive, hence it's no surprise to see that most of the great players have come from rich nations or from well off familities in not-so-rich nations.

still, there are exceptions. most of the players coming from the former soviet satellites and former yugoslavia aren't rich by any means. milos raonic practiced at low-demand hours to pay a lower price, ljubicic was a war refugee in italy, lucksaks family didn't have it easy in oz, mirnyi was shit poor when he arrived to america, etc...

from south america, most have come from relatively wealthy families. i think gaudios family was working class. collarini probably wasnt too wealthy given that he decided to sell out to the yanks.

from oz, i think rafter's family was working class and he had a lot of siblings. i'm not sure about hewitt. ive read in some sites the 'cashed up bogan' tag...


Last edited by abraxas21; 04-23-2011 at 02:43 AM.
abraxas21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 02:33 AM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: richest tennis player families

Cañas wasn't from a wealthy background. Hewitt's dad played Aussie football and worked in the home loans area.

Matosevic isn't rich. Verdasco's dad owns a few restaurants in Madrid.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #18 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 02:34 AM
Banned!
 
GlennMirnyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: I'm in Porto Alegre, bitch!
Posts: 42,099
                     
Re: richest tennis player families

Move this to non-tennis.
GlennMirnyi is offline  
 
post #19 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 02:43 AM
Registered User
 
Pirata.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: usa
Age: 28
Posts: 13,370
                     
Re: richest tennis player families

Verdasco's family is pretty upper-middle or upper class, they own at least three restaurants in Madrid and he had two tennis courts in his backyard, not many normal middle class families can afford that.

I saw Gulbis' dad in the hotel in Cincinnati, you'd never know this guy was a billionaire, he goes to the breakfast buffet in the same dirty t-shirt and sweatpants four mornings in a row and looks like a homeless slob

Rafael Nadal & Novak Djokovic: The Evoulution of a Handshake
federer ferrer wawrinka raonic flopez istomin mannarino pospisil
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline  
post #20 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 02:45 AM
Registered User
 
Nathaliia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 96,581
                     
Re: richest tennis player families

Tomic's dad was a bus/taxi driver and mom is a biomedical scientist but worked as a nurse. I doubt they were very rich.

Before Gulbis it was Martin Verkerk the richest guy on tour, and just like Gulbis, never had to try because of his dad who had some trash sorting company or something similar. Verkerk admitted in the interviews he just traveled the world for pleasure and not to play tennis, he was permanently drunk or high because he never had to care about anything. At one day he told himself he couldn't live like this anymore and... fluked that RG final! And then was celebrating the success for so long until he fell into obscurity again.

I wonder if Gulbis can ever be such a one slam wonder

I actually find it funny you will find these rich chaps playing futures, maybe sometimes even challengers, but they don't break through. Instead you will get stories like Davydenko's, who had to eat potatoes every day to save up after he emigrated to Germany, or El Aynaoui's, who had to clean the gym at Bolletieri's to afford practising there. Or Dustin Brown's who was a model to collect funds fo tennis trips.

Maybe these things make you stronger, when this is your only hope you cling to and you don't have a safe landing guaranteed, if to compare people with the same amount of talent.

I will burn
And you will die...


my old Polish blog www.tenislove.pl
Nathaliia is offline  
post #21 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 02:50 AM
Banned!
 
GlennMirnyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: I'm in Porto Alegre, bitch!
Posts: 42,099
                     
Re: richest tennis player families

I heard from another tennis player that Fognini's father is a real playboy.
GlennMirnyi is offline  
post #22 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 02:52 AM
Registered User
 
wildemu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 31
Posts: 7,719
                     
Re: richest tennis player families

Any scoop on Soderling or Berdych? I have never seen their parents at any tennis events.
wildemu is offline  
post #23 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 03:00 AM
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,507
                     
Re: richest tennis player families

Söderling's dad is a lawyer. Berdman's dad worked for Czech railways as an engineer and mother is a doctor.

The Rochus brothers weren't lacking dad is doctor and mother a dentist.

On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline  
post #24 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Age: 27
Posts: 2,570
                     
Re: richest tennis player families

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slumpdasco View Post
Verdasco's family is pretty upper-middle or upper class, they own at least three restaurants in Madrid and he had two tennis courts in his backyard, not many normal middle class families can afford that.

I saw Gulbis' dad in the hotel in Cincinnati, you'd never know this guy was a billionaire, he goes to the breakfast buffet in the same dirty t-shirt and sweatpants four mornings in a row and looks like a homeless slob

haha. Yea i never said he is for sure a billioniare... just from what i have read. But yea.. it seems like that a lot of wealthy guys don't spend a lot of their money (maybe because they realize how difficult it is to earn money) vs someone who maybe inherits it?
tests is offline  
post #25 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Age: 27
Posts: 2,570
                     
Re: richest tennis player families

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
Tomic's dad was a bus/taxi driver and mom is a biomedical scientist but worked as a nurse. I doubt they were very rich.

Before Gulbis it was Martin Verkerk the richest guy on tour, and just like Gulbis, never had to try because of his dad who had some trash sorting company or something similar. Verkerk admitted in the interviews he just traveled the world for pleasure and not to play tennis, he was permanently drunk or high because he never had to care about anything. At one day he told himself he couldn't live like this anymore and... fluked that RG final! And then was celebrating the success for so long until he fell into obscurity again.

I wonder if Gulbis can ever be such a one slam wonder

I actually find it funny you will find these rich chaps playing futures, maybe sometimes even challengers, but they don't break through. Instead you will get stories like Davydenko's, who had to eat potatoes every day to save up after he emigrated to Germany, or El Aynaoui's, who had to clean the gym at Bolletieri's to afford practising there. Or Dustin Brown's who was a model to collect funds fo tennis trips.

Maybe these things make you stronger, when this is your only hope you cling to and you don't have a safe landing guaranteed, if to compare people with the same amount of talent.

great post.
tests is offline  
post #26 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Age: 27
Posts: 2,570
                     
Re: richest tennis player families

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
I heard from another tennis player that Fognini's father is a real playboy.

Really? Most playboys are rich as fuck. What does his father do?
tests is offline  
post #27 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 03:44 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
martine wagoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 16
                     
Re: richest tennis player families

Great factoid. Never knew that about Novak. It makes his success as an athlete and finacial "mogul" even more amazing.
martine wagoner is offline  
post #28 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 03:55 AM
Banned!
 
GlennMirnyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: I'm in Porto Alegre, bitch!
Posts: 42,099
                     
Re: richest tennis player families

Quote:
Originally Posted by tests View Post
Really? Most playboys are rich as fuck. What does his father do?
No idea.

But apparently he travels in a private plane, etc.
GlennMirnyi is offline  
post #29 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 08:17 AM
Registered User
 
barbadosan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: I hear my Bimshire calling . . .
Age: 68
Posts: 10,180
                     
Re: richest tennis player families

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfan856 View Post
Any scoop on Soderling or Berdych? I have never seen their parents at any tennis events.
Soderling's parents were at his first FO final, as far as I remember. He also acknowledged them in his podium speech afterwards



"When I'm asked, how is it to be around Federer, and what is he really like, I always reply, "I wish people could meet him when cameras or an audience aren't around, as he is one of the nicest people I have ever met when stringing on tour. " -- drakulie
barbadosan is online now  
post #30 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Registered User
 
Stelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 586
                     
Re: richest tennis player families

I heard Gulbis' Dad is the 3rd richest in Latvia but I am not 100%...About his father wearing the same shirt 4 days in a row etc...I would be surprised if it is true - as at every match of Ernests' he is very well dressed in a suit...

Loves...Ernests Gulbis



Dinara Safina ~ Sorana Cirstea ~ Marin Cilic ~ Sabine Lisiki~ Philipp Kohlshrieber ~ Gilles Simon ~ Ryan Harrison ~ Gisela Dulko ~ Fernando Verdasco ~
Stelle is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome