Mens Tennis Forums banner

14K views 127 replies 68 participants last post by  G4. 
#1 · (Edited)
#35 ·
Re: Eurosport Loses Roland Garros Tv rights

Sky for us Brtis..... If it is, hopefully they will have interactive with about 5 courts like the US Open.

#40 ·

Good news for Brits I think, at least if Sky pick it up. Too many interesting matches on outside courts missed thanks to Eurosport, not to mention too much time spent with WTA. Not really any other candidates here, BBC or ESPN? Ofcourse it could always end up going back to British Eurosport anyway.

#42 ·

That's a really bad news for me :sad: I liked ES coverage of RG, they usaed 2 channels to broadcast matches, ES+ES2 and I liked the commentators. Now what happens? Some sh!t operator will buy the rights for broadcasting RG over here, will show maybe 4-5 matches per day with terrible commentating and that will be all just like it is now with Wimbledon in this country. I was hoping ES would buy Wimbledon instead they lost even RG :sad:

#44 ·

hmmm... wimbledon being an exception to overt sponsorship of course, the slams should be adopting the style of coverage that the champions league and formula 1 - 1st make sure the presentation is 1st class, then get into as many houses as possible and let sponsors pay thru the nose...

the itf events actually have a duty to the overall health of tennis to do this...

#53 ·

hmmm... wimbledon being an exception to overt sponsorship of course, the slams should be adopting the style of coverage that the champions league and formula 1 - 1st make sure the presentation is 1st class, then get into as many houses as possible and let sponsors pay thru the nose...

the itf events actually have a duty to the overall health of tennis to do this...
Great idea, I think this is the way forward, the sponsors should pay, I'm sick of sky dominating sports coverage, forcing us to pay for their over priced service, means I have to go to the pub or my parents every time something must see is on sky sports and is too good to watch on a stream, I'm not paying £40 a month for something I watch a few times a week max, sports is the only time I watch the TV.

#68 ·

Dunno...Germany as you get every match from 1st and 2nd division, national cup live and in full length, some 3rd division matches live too? What does the UK or rather England get?

It is done by Sky, but established before the company (then called Premiere) started belonging to Rupert Murdoch I think....

Edit: the big US Sports have a better chance of giving smaller teams at least a chance due to the draft system, not who gets what money from whatever TV Company imo. Then again...I still don't think it's much of an even playing field in any of those sports.

#71 ·

Dunno...Germany as you get every match from 1st and 2nd division, national cup live and in full length, some 3rd division matches live too? What does the UK or rather England get?

It is done by Sky, but established before the company (then called Premiere) started belonging to Rupert Murdoch I think....

Edit: the big US Sports have a better chance of giving smaller teams at least a chance due to the draft system, not who gets what money from whatever TV Company imo. Then again...I still don't think it's much of an even playing field in any of those sports.
You get a better service for the Bundesliga than English and Welsh premier league, In england they show maybe 3 or 4 games a weekend that mostly envolve the top 4 teams and the odd detby game, meaning if you support a smaller team you can't watch it live at 3 o'clock on a saturday unless you go to the game. I wonder why they can't have the same multi match coverage they have for the Champions league for premiership.

#73 ·

I hate SKY but ITV is notoriously bad when it comes to sports coverage.. We are screwed big time. I actually got SKY sports thinking the greedy bastards were going to get the French open :smash:. Since I'm also a football fan it is not all bad.

#75 ·

I always understood that BBC had RG and so had Eurosport, right? Now the BBC rights have gone to ITV and the Eurosport rights are been negotiated, right? So the ITV thing doesn't really concern Eurosport?

We're propably talking about British Eurosport. But as far as I can remember Eurosport has always shown so much tennis and one could imagine they would do anything in their power to keep RG also in the future. I believe it's a French company and of course tennis is huge there, so it's logical they want to invest in tennis. That's propably the reason why they have the WTA tour. There's really not much to have from the ATP tour.

I think it's quite harsh that the ATP always sells the rights to one company, because after all there are many channels who want to show big tournaments. I guess the ATP rights will be up again late 2013? It will be interesting to see if Eurosport might challenge for them? After all they have huge following in Europe.

I remember reading that AO will be shown on Eurosport for five more years, but 2012 will be the final US Open year. I actually doubt they have the power to extend that US Open contract.

#88 ·

I didn't really understand why Eurosport AND Sky were both showing the US Open this year...
sky paid for the first choice of matches... british eurosport got the leftovers...

a very nice compromise... what is not nice is the eurosport commentary which is f*cking shithouse...

#78 ·

Nooooo :bigcry:

I only have Eurosport to watch some tennis on TV :sad: I was looking forward to RG for years and how will I watch matches from the comfort of my sofa. And now this heartbreak.

Thank god we got one sport channel last year, it's plenty of tennis there, but they won't be showing RG. And the comentators suck, they have no clue about tennis, just some random football mugs picked from who knows where. :stupid:

I hope Eurosport somehow gets back TV rights and I hope they will show us more ATP tennis. There is just too much WTA!
I also hope some Eurosport manager is reading this. :smooch:

#79 ·

I hope Eurosport somehow gets back TV rights and I hope they will show us more ATP tennis. There is just too much WTA!
I also hope some Eurosport manager is reading this. :smooch:
It won't happen.
The reason why Eurosport shows so much WTA is because the rights are much cheaper (and I dare to question 'why' that is, :lol:).
ATP and slams (more and more in the future I guess) are mainly on pay-TV channels because a lot of tennis fans find it worthy to pay for it, this in contrast to the WTA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.