MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread!
View Single Post
post #2086 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:50 AM
country flag Ukyo

Re: Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie the Cat View Post
I like a lot of progmetal - but not all of it.
Some of these musicians take the showing-off of their technique - which usually is indeed fabulous - a bit too far for my tastes. I well remember a concert of the Dutch band Textures, where I got the feeling I was experiencing some kind of sound-maths rather than 'music'.
In other words, lots of technique but hey, were's the emotion?

The actual question is how to define 'progressive metal' in the first place. There's a great variety in music that all falls under this definition if we're to believe the usual experts on sites and in mags, but the trademark-progmetal band must be Dream Theater imho. And yes, I do like them - well, the four musicians, I can't stand their singer! I also like Symphony X a lot, but that's mostely because they have a truly amazing singer (Russell Allen) who's also a very nice guy (). Threshold, with Damian Wilson - very nice too. (you might notice that the quality of singers is very important to me...)
I've noticed that some 'experts' also think that bands like Riverside are progmetal, which I think is a mistake - that band is much too atmospheric and melodic for that label. Opeth? Hmmm, yeah they are very heavy, but I don't put them under the label of progmetal either - I'd call them 'symphonic death metal', if that makes any sense.

Do post some of your favourite progmetal over here, Yves!
Textures named their band after Cynic's song, which is a bit indicative. ;]

I enjoy both prog rock and prog metal, and not all of either as well.

Hello to everyone with cool music taste in here. (=

Haters in ruins™

Nalbandian, Baggy, funkY flO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapeod View Post
On the contrary I'm one of the most intelligent posters on here.
Never go full fedtard.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome