Mens Tennis Forums banner

Laurynas Grigelis (LTU)

105K views 717 replies 42 participants last post by  Hypnotize 
#1 · (Edited)
I think a young Lithuanian tennis player Laurynas Grigelis (born 14/08/1991) deserved his own thread. He has just won his first Futures title at the Great Britain F13 :worship:.

This year Laurynas made a real breakthrough jumping from 1560 to 600 in the ATP rankings.
His best results:

- Winner at the Great Britain F13
- Semifinal at the Italy F26 and Spain F22
- Quarterfinal at the Spain F21, Great Britain F9, France F18
- 2nd round at the Binghamton Challenger (beat Jerzy Janowicz).

Laurynas lives in Italy and trains at the Future Talent Brusaporto tennis centre in the province Bergamo. His coaches - William Rota and Roberto Manenti.

Here is the Laurynas pics gallery from the final match at the Great Britain F13:
http://www.articles-on-the-web.com/tenisas/index.php

See less See more
#455 ·
It's wrong , but it doesn't matter. What's important is that Grigio kept the momentum from winning Aptos and qualifying for his first ATP, now he has a golden chance for his first GS MD in his first try :yeah: at this pace he will pass Berankis and be Lithuania's No.1 in tennis.

#461 ·
Grigelis will play SAMI REINWEIN (ATP 573). He is very young and seems to be talented, but shouldn't be hard for Laurynas.

#463 ·
Great interview :yeah:

61 75 over Marchenko :), next is Roger Vasselin

In the original interview it says next week he'll play in Italia F25, the week after that Izmir CH, and then he'll see if he goes to Europe indoors, Asia or America, it will depend a lot on the entries list.

I understand a little bit italian, so later if I can I will try to translate the most important parts

#464 ·
it's a bit strange seeing him still playing futures events since he seems to have no trouble beating challenger players right now...but I guess this decision was made by his team and they can assess the situation better than al of us combined. I just think he should definitely play and maybe try to qualify for some indoor euroean ATP events - he should be capable of making plenty of noise on fast surfaces

#465 ·
Well, my english and italian skills aren't very good, but I translated some parts of the interview, hope it be understandable:

"After playing ATP Los Angeles I wanted to stay in USA trying to play as matches as possible before play US Open qualies, but I strained a muscle and had to stop playing, so we decided to come back to Italy. Finally I just can train 2 or 3 days before travel to USA"

(Answering about his training with Ljubicic) "It was the first time I played with a player who was Top 3, it's the best memory the tournament leave to me. I'll remeber it for the rest of my life.

(About his expectations for the tournament) "Before Aptos It wasn't even planned to play USO, so I hadn't big expectations. All I wanted was playing well, and if could do this the results would come"

(About the match against Gensse) "The match was decided in few points and I lost them. Maybe if I won first set the things would have been different"

(About his rankings goals) "The goal for the end of the year was to reach 250-280 so I could play AO qualies in january 2012. We reached this, so the goal for the rest of the year is to continue climbing in the rankings and have consistence, keep fighting with players in Top 200 in 2 o 3 tournaments in a row, if I can do this the grow in the ranking will be a consecuence"

(About his schedule for the end of the year) "This week St Remy, then Italia Future in Sardegna (he explains they decided this by 2 reasons, he won't get direct entry to Istanbul CH, and also he and the team wants to know if he can confirm the progress made in Challengers in a tournament with less level), and after that Izmir CH. Then we'll see, there are a lot of options, qualies in Europe indoors, Asia, or USA Challengers. It will depend a lot on the entry lists"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.