The Great Big Super-Duper Title Resource Thread - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Sjengster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Somewhere fairly shingly
Age: 30
Posts: 11,359
                     
Re: Re: The Great Big Super-Duper Title Resource Thread

*updated to include a double success for the Dominator and Hewitt's 20th career title, tying him with fellow baseline grinder Brad Gilbert - is it too early to say that he is easily the most successful of the New Balls?*

The Wit and Wisdom of the Tennis Journalist, Indian Wells 2004

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 12:24 AM
Registered User
 
SaFed2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 5,346
                     
Re: Re: Re: The Great Big Super-Duper Title Resource Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjengster
*is it too early to say that he is easily the most successful of the New Balls?*

Great List
Yeah i think it's to early to say he's the most succesful of the new balls... Mnay ohters better than him at this point... Like Federer, Roddick, Ferrero, Nalbandian and so on...
SaFed2005 is offline  
post #18 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Sjengster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Somewhere fairly shingly
Age: 30
Posts: 11,359
                     
Re: Re: Re: Re: The Great Big Super-Duper Title Resource Thread

Yes, but in terms of career achievements he is easily the most successful - success does not equal present quality. Let's wait until one of the three players out of the four you mentioned wins this AO, then they'll be close - in fact, only Ferrero might actually surpass Hewitt in overall career achievement if he takes the title, given that he has been to no. 1 before and has more TMS titles.

The Wit and Wisdom of the Tennis Journalist, Indian Wells 2004

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline  
post #19 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 11:49 AM
psychotic banana
 
J. Corwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: jack in the box
Posts: 15,731
                     
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Great Big Super-Duper Title Resource Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjengster
Yes, but in terms of career achievements he is easily the most successful - success does not equal present quality. Let's wait until one of the three players out of the four you mentioned wins this AO, then they'll be close - in fact, only Ferrero might actually surpass Hewitt in overall career achievement if he takes the title, given that he has been to no. 1 before and has more TMS titles.
I wouldn't think so. Hewitt still has won two TMC's (bigger than TMS) and ended two years at #1. That plus his higher titles count still would give him a significant lead over Ferrero.

Like father, like son

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks."
George H.W. Bush, 1988

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."
George W. Bush, 2000

15.5 - 40.5 ... 2,1,1 demolition job
(fan club spots are still open! )
J. Corwin is offline  
post #20 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 11:50 AM
psychotic banana
 
J. Corwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: jack in the box
Posts: 15,731
                     
Re: Re: The Great Big Super-Duper Title Resource Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterQ
Nice list to have around. Thanks Sjengster!

btw, think Andre will catch Pete in titles? It's certainly mathematically possible, but if he retires soon it won't happen...

Yes he definitely can. An extra exceptional year, or two good years should do it.

Like father, like son

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks."
George H.W. Bush, 1988

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."
George W. Bush, 2000

15.5 - 40.5 ... 2,1,1 demolition job
(fan club spots are still open! )
J. Corwin is offline  
post #21 of 149 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Sjengster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Somewhere fairly shingly
Age: 30
Posts: 11,359
                     
Re: Re: Re: The Great Big Super-Duper Title Resource Thread

*updated for title number 12 and GS title number 2 for Federer - he's slowly gaining ground on Hewitt...*

The Wit and Wisdom of the Tennis Journalist, Indian Wells 2004

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline  
post #22 of 149 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Sjengster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Somewhere fairly shingly
Age: 30
Posts: 11,359
                     
Re: Re: Re: Re: The Great Big Super-Duper Title Resource Thread

*updated to include newest February wins - Hewitt's first European indoor title, in fact his first European title on a surface other than grass, Coria's revenge over Moya in Buenos Aires and title no. 1 for Johansson the Younger*

The Wit and Wisdom of the Tennis Journalist, Indian Wells 2004

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline  
post #23 of 149 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 05:28 PM
Registered User
 
RogiFan88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 21,729
                     
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Great Big Super-Duper Title Resource Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjengster
*updated to include newest February wins - Hewitt's first European indoor title, in fact his first European title on a surface other than grass, Coria's revenge over Moya in Buenos Aires and title no. 1 for Johansson the Younger*
Now that's an interesting fact, Sjengst... I was hoping Juanqui w take that title... a good one!!

Thanks for the update.

Hopp Rogi! Go Gonzo! Allez Gasquet!

Más vale maña que fuerza -- proverbio español
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline  
post #24 of 149 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 12:29 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,920
                     
Thank you for the list and the updates--very convenient to have the information easily available.

A small correction: Wayne Ferreira has 15 titles. You are missing L.A. 2003.
dagmar7 is offline  
post #25 of 149 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Sjengster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Somewhere fairly shingly
Age: 30
Posts: 11,359
                     
Re: The Great Big Super-Duper Title Resource Thread

Why, I never realised - thanks for the information. It's corrected.

The Wit and Wisdom of the Tennis Journalist, Indian Wells 2004

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline  
post #26 of 149 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 07:52 PM
country flag Lee
Gugaholic
 
Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Under the blue sky
Posts: 84,778
                     
Re: The Great Big Super-Duper Title Resource Thread

Sjengster, you listed 19 titles for Guga but the number there is 18.
Lee is offline  
post #27 of 149 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Sjengster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Somewhere fairly shingly
Age: 30
Posts: 11,359
                     
Re: Re: The Great Big Super-Duper Title Resource Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Sjengster, you listed 19 titles for Guga but the number there is 18.
Other way round, I think you'll find. Anyway, it's been changed. Anyone got any more, huh?

The Wit and Wisdom of the Tennis Journalist, Indian Wells 2004

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline  
post #28 of 149 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Sjengster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Somewhere fairly shingly
Age: 30
Posts: 11,359
                     
Re: Re: Re: The Great Big Super-Duper Title Resource Thread

Actually, I just realised that your way of putting it amounts to the same thing - basically, I'm quibbling over semantics. However you say it, I had Kuerten with 18 titles and then listed 19 afterwards, so it's been fixed. Phew!

The Wit and Wisdom of the Tennis Journalist, Indian Wells 2004

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline  
post #29 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Sjengster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Somewhere fairly shingly
Age: 30
Posts: 11,359
                     
Re: Re: Re: Re: The Great Big Super-Duper Title Resource Thread

*updated to include a second home title for Kuerten that takes him to the big 20, and a third win of the year for Hrbaty - in the space of two months, he's doubled his career titles*

The Wit and Wisdom of the Tennis Journalist, Indian Wells 2004

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline  
post #30 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Sjengster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Somewhere fairly shingly
Age: 30
Posts: 11,359
                     
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Great Big Super-Duper Title Resource Thread

*updated for March victories - Cousin Vinny finally gets on the board after a 10-year career, Federer is the first successful defender of Dubai and Moya racks up a second title from four finals this year*

The Wit and Wisdom of the Tennis Journalist, Indian Wells 2004

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome