Re: History Being Made All Around Rafa Chat Thread Vol. 26

hi all so italy soon:scared:of course when i could not follow the ls:fiery:

when the epic match will finish:p?

#5 ·

i need a partner for newport..

hi all so italy soon:scared:of course when i could not follow the ls:fiery:

when the epic match will finish:p?
Hi Betty, I need a partner for Newport too... I've asked Adam in the thread but he hasn't answered 26 hours later so if you want to play with me I will :)

I predict that the Isner/Mahut match will end quite soon today - but not willing to guess the winner :unsure:

#4 ·

Everyone stopped chatting when the new thread started? :awww:

:wavey:

and to comment on something from the previous thread.. I am not republican but still not huge on the Royal Family, but last year my visit to Buckingham Palace was the highlight of my trip to London - especially because the Queen's State Rooms were available for tour at the time :hearts: (still bummed that I missed Changing of the Guard though).

Also, obviously when I say it was my highlight, I mean OTHER than meeting lovely MTFers like Adam ;) :smooch:

#13 ·

Does anybody actually know why the queen - after such a long time - has decided to come to Wimbledon?

Jarkko is also part of the history now. :D :D :D I am so happy for him. :D :banana: :dance:
AMAZING!!!!!! Wasn't it! And such a great bow! :D :hearts: :inlove:
Er...:unsure:...no offence but are you drunk, high, both? :unsure:

#15 ·

Part 1 of things I quoted earlier:

Hmmmm...I don't quite know how exactly to explain it.

The Dutch"g" (although some Dutchies, mostly near the south of the country, also use a soft sounding "g") is pronounced in the back of the mouth, it's a throat sound. Dutchies also tend to pronounces other sounds in the back of the mouth (the "sch" of Scheveningen).
The Flemish "g" is a soft sound, pronounced in the front of the mouth. It's not a throat sound.

The Flemish "g" slides more off your tongue, the Dutch "g" is firmly rooted in the throat.

For the Flemish "g", just listen to Clijsters talking in Flemish:

This is a audio tape with a Dutch person saying a lot of words beginning with the throaty "g":
(I can't embed it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuG_HADAYas
Okay. I liked that the second one had the words being said below. Thanks.

Dutch's "g" >>>>>>> Flemish's "g"

Hope that helps Melanie :hug: :eek: :p
Minn, the swiss Ollander is biased as hell. You know that. ;)
Melanie, the Flemish Walloon is biased as hell. You know that. ;)
In other words: Melanie needs to make up her own mind and not listen to Swiss Walloon wannabe Ollanders.
Both Eva and you need to record something on vocaroo and let Melanie decide which one she prefers :eek: :D :p
Glad to see both of you are so concerned with my understanding of the different "g"s. :rolls:

Honestly, the Flemish way seems more "normal" to my English ears.

However, the Dutch one doesn't seem that hard to imitate. Trying to imitate some throaty Arabic sounds was harder, at least, it seemed to me.

Thanks for explaining the difference between hard and soft g Hilde :)

Here's the word 'gaan' (to go) with
- Hard G http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/Nl-gaan.ogg
- Soft G http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/92/Nl-gaan_(South).ogg
This was helpful to listen to. Thanks.

I hate that throat sound. Seriously. It is awful. I think Dutch is a retarded language. It's ugly and just really weird. Why do they write the words with so many vowels, and why the throat sound? Sorry, not trying to offend anyone, it's just my opninion. I still love the Dutch people, even though I don't like the language.
A little extreme, don't you think?

I love all our regulars. :) Even when I want to :smash: them. :lol:
Me too.

:lol: You should post a pic sometime:D
Maybe, if I'm ever around at the same time everyone else is (and right now doesn't count; I'm only here briefly).

snooker rerun? :unsure:
:rolls: I was thinking the same.

#18 ·

:hatoff: Thanks, Maria.

:lol:

We're such a strange country.

There's a huge cheer on court as Murray and Nieminen come on court and then an even bigger cheer as Murray and Nieminen complete their bow...
:lol: :lol:

:wavey: Good morning, everyone!

I've been watching the recaps and remarks about The Match. They interviewed John's mother and she is a lovely woman. She kept saying she was in awe of both players. They asked what she was most proud of about her son. She thought a moment and said that it was the way he comports himself. She added, "He's not perfect, " but thought overall he did well. She had no idea how the match will turn out because she has no idea how the players prepare. They asked if she noticed a difference in John toward the end of the match. She said that what she noticed was him becoming even more determined.

Mary, who bugs me, did say something good about what it must be like to play Mahut. His hair stands up. He grins from ear to ear. He exudes energy. It's such a contract of individuals. Mrs. Isner said that people sometimes misjudge John because of his outward demeanor, but he's been determined all his life. When he was 3 he broke his femur and had to be in a full body cast and in a wheelchair. She took him out to the driveway and he shot baskets over and over and over. She retrieved the ball and gave it to him. He didn't make many baskets, but just kept doing it.

#330 ·

Mrs. Isner said that people sometimes misjudge John because of his outward demeanor, but he's been determined all his life. When he was 3 he broke his femur and had to be in a full body cast and in a wheelchair. She took him out to the driveway and he shot baskets over and over and over. She retrieved the ball and gave it to him. He didn't make many baskets, but just kept doing it.
What a nice story.

Yes I really do.

Because I think what the Queen represents is continuity in a world that has changed out of all recognition since 1952 - it's sort of awesome to think that she had audiences with Churchill as her first Prime Minister - I think that sense of stability and stoic adaptation to changing times is one of the reasons that she is held in great affection in the country at large and I think Charles will really struggle to find anything similar - a lot of people think he's a bit of a prat anyway and I'm not sure that's likely to change much.
That is sort of awesome. You know that "Who would you invite to a dinner party" type of question? Churchill often makes my list.

I think, even though she wasn't queen yet during WWII, the fact that she and her family stayed in Britain through the bombing and kind of helped out during the war makes her liked (by those who know it) as well. It's a point in her favour in my eyes.

Charles is seen the same way as you describe here although we are of course much more removed from everything. He seems to have really tried since the death of Diana. William is liked.

Because Monarchy was the only state form that gave Romania stability, wealth and respect. Republic has yet to convince me it's better and you'll understand that I can't take the world of other countries citizens for it.
It also gives to feeling of belonging, Eastern-European are a different breed, head of states that change every 5 years are really not my cup of tea. And no, that doesn't mean I'd like a dictatorship, we had that, thank you very much...
And I also like the glam aspect of it, I'm not gonna lie ....:D
This is interesting. It makes sense but I had never really thought of that perspective before. What do you think would happen in Romania if your king asked to come back as a figurehead monarch?

That drunken gambling old sot, the Queen Mother, was over a hundred when she carked it, Liz could go the same way.

manute vs isner
Cool pic.

what the hell did they give them? a tea set?
What's this about? Did Isner and Mahut get something after the match?

Unions here use their position to extract rents from the society at large. For example the shipping union was preventing passengers from entering ships to visit islands. The courts have declared that illegal but they still block entry to ships, counting that a police intervention would be more costly to the goverment than the inconvenience for the poor people who want to travel.
"Extract rents" made me think of the mafia. :eek:

Do these people being prevented from visiting islands include tourists? That would greatly hurt the tourist industy, wouldn't it? I would think that might make people more willing to settle their differences.

Canada doesn't really do things like that. When I say I live in a city where the union is big, it's true, but it's just companies being affected when there are strikes, with citizens being affected only indirectly. From what I can think of at the moment, really nothing like you talk about has happened since just after WWII.

am i the only one who wanted to see old Queen falling when she was walking down those stairs ;)
:lol: Are you not English anymore, Mike?

:speakles:Mahut back out on court 18 for his doubles match.
:speakles: Respect.

it's the v-neck

edit: (scoobs et al - a v-neck is a kind of shirt/sweater/blouse with a V-shaped neckline)
So nice of you to translate, Snoo. I'm wearing a v-neck myself at the moment.

I didn't think Isner could be so adorable :lol: :awww:

These are nice pictures of him.

Hey has Voo posted yet?
I hope he's ok :scared:
Why are you worried about Voo? He rarely comes to this thread.

#25 ·

Part 2 (of 2):

Stereotypes :( :lol:
:eek: ;)

The irony is that the winner faces the winner of Mahut-Isner.
Poor guys. Has it been decided when that match will take place?

Oh my fucking god. They are still playing? Honestly, I'm beginning to see the wisdom of this soccer scoring. :p

I wish they could both move on.

the both deserve a special trofy:lol:
I agree.

But usually not with such a hanging head.

He's such a nice kid. I forgive him almost everything.
And he's got good grammar too. :)

I have no idea how these players do this on a mental level. Sure, the physical challenges are impressive but to find the will to keep going and stay focused for so long?

Isner looks tired but Mahut still looks fresh.
Exactly. People were saying Isner looked like he was on auto-pilot; I would think that's partly due to mental exhaustion.

doesn't count for much if you are too cagon to invite me to play :shrug:
Or maybe he was too cagon to play ours.

I've been very busy :sad:
Welcome back, Claire.

Yeah those guys are right. I actually think that during some games they used Isner's stand-in and Mahut's stunt double.

The Frenchies got what they deserved :( again striking today so my flight is sickly delayed :( I wish France was in north america or something :eek: :p
First, I hope your flight is on its way now and that the three of you have a good time this weekend.

Second, :mad: :mad:. Don't send them to my continent.

I live in a fairly strong unionized city and I don't think all of France's strikes would go over well here. As I said before, I can't imagine France's widespread strikes taking place here.

I think these days a lot of British people have somewhat Republican leanings but the Queen is held in such affection that the sort of make an exception, I know I do.
But when Prince Charles becomes king, you think it might be different?

I just saw an interview with our Governor-General (the Queen's representative in Canada, who is always Canadian) and it reinforced my dislike of that position. I have no problem with remaining part of the Commonwealth, and I'd say that's true of the majority of Canadians, but I'd like the Governor-General and all of her nominal powers gone, and all the nominal powers of the Queen gone too.

So this MTFer Genius died? That's terrible! How was the information confirmed?

:rolleyes:-worthy name for this new poster.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=10082875&postcount=4456

#29 ·

But when Prince Charles becomes king, you think it might be different?

I just saw an interview with our Governor-General (the Queen's representative in Canada, who is always Canadian) and it reinforced my dislike of that position. I have no problem with remaining part of the Commonwealth, and I'd say that's true of the majority of Canadians, but I'd like the Governor-General and all of her nominal powers gone, and all the nominal powers of the Queen gone too.

Yes I really do.

Because I think what the Queen represents is continuity in a world that has changed out of all recognition since 1952 - it's sort of awesome to think that she had audiences with Churchill as her first Prime Minister - I think that sense of stability and stoic adaptation to changing times is one of the reasons that she is held in great affection in the country at large and I think Charles will really struggle to find anything similar - a lot of people think he's a bit of a prat anyway and I'm not sure that's likely to change much.

#32 ·

I don't care about monarchy one way or the other except that I think it's weird -- you know like being a huge celebrity is weird or having a billion dollars is weird. I can't imagine it.

Obviously, I don't think they are appointed by god or that there is anything like royal blood. I think these people who are royal grow up a bit strangely and probably have a different perspective on things than I do. Obviously, they aren't worried about where their next bowl of Ramen noodles is going to come from.

#37 ·

I don't care about monarchy one way or the other except that I think it's weird -- you know like being a huge celebrity is weird or having a billion dollars is weird. I can't imagine it.

Obviously, I don't think they are appointed by god or that there is anything like royal blood. I think these people who are royal grow up a bit strangely and probably have a different perspective on things than I do. Obviously, they aren't worried about where their next bowl of Ramen noodles is going to come from.
Well it's said the Queen sees it as a job - she has a job to do and she does it. An unusual job, not one that I would like to have any part of, but it's a responsibility that she feels she must carry out.

I don't envy them for all the wealth and so on - their lives are not their own.

#51 ·

Hilde likes her Albert too. Not very fond of His children, though :tape:
"her" Albert. :lol:

It's true. Our king Albert is a great king IMO. He's quite popular too, which nobody expected when his brother, king Boudewijn died and he had to get on that throne.
Albert seems to be wise, he's friendly, has a great sense of humor, his Dutch is great (and better than Boudewijn's...too bad that his wife can't really be arsed to speak Dutch properly). Indeed, I'm not too sure about our crown prince. He doesn't seem to be that bright. :tape: Next in line is a girl and if the monarchy survives that long, she'll be our first queen.

#49 ·

i want see some pics of that:ras:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.